9/10/2014

Fave Movie Moments: Mulholland Dr.



Coffee makes my day. Or night. I guess I can qualify as a coffeeholic, although I only have two or three a day. A charming cappuccino. A f*cking Frappuccino. And an excellent espresso.

In David Lynch's mystifying Mulholland Dr., there's this singularly yucky yet funny scene involving some bad coffee and an irate mobster: the espresso incident.

Film composer Angelo Badalamenti is Luigi Castigliani, a Mafioso who also happens to be an espresso aficionado. All seems fine and dandy until Castigliani gradually spits out the espresso onto a tidy table napkin.






Castigliani and his gang force filmmaker Adam Kesher (Justin Theroux) to cast Mafia moll Camilla Rhodes (Melissa George) in his latest film. When Kesher refuses to do so, the coffee got served and so did he.

The close-ups of the eyes, the silence, the stillness of the moment — totally redolent of Sergio Leone's movies. For me, this scene stood out as a comedic moment because it is so random. You have this surreal movie wherein creepiness and obscurity are the general aura. And then here comes this particular scene.

I think I can *espress* my grievances well with a cup of bad coffee, a fancy table napkin, and a beautiful day. Just kidding.


DISCLAIMER: No copyright infringement intended. I don't own or claim to own any of the photos used.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...